Finding mold growing in your home is a serious concern for homeowners, and everyone understands that the problem must be addressed soon before it becomes a much greater problem. While household mold can take many forms, few are more concerning than the feared black mold. This mold, scientifically known as Stacybotrys chartarum and Stachybotrys chlorohalonata, can infiltrate dwellings of any size and location in the GTA. The hazards of black mold stem from its harmful spores, which can cause a number of health problems and significantly degrade the indoor air quality of your living environment.
So, what should you do if you discover black mold in your family’s home?
There is a lot of information available on DIY black mold removal procedures, however it is rarely a good idea. When done incorrectly, removing black mold yourself can aggravate the problem and endanger your family, thus understanding the hidden dangers of DIY black mold removal is critical for safeguarding your loved ones in the long run.
Black Mold Risks
When dealing with black mold in the home, certain care must be followed, and few homeowners have the equipment and resources necessary to protect their safety during the process. Even minor exposure to black mold during the cleanup process can cause health problems for you and your family, and black mold has been linked to:
- Coughing and sneezing all the time
- Irritation of the respiratory system
- Rashes and other skin problems
- Chronic fatigue
An allergic reaction to black mold spores can induce vomiting, nausea, and bleeding within the lungs and nose in severe cases. With the severe consequences of black mold exposure, it’s not worth the danger of attempting to solve the problem on your own.
Reasons to Avoid DIY Black Mold Removal
Although the dangerous health consequences of black mold exposure are reason enough to avoid a DIY removal, it is not the only reason to hire a professional team to handle a mold infestation in your house. Certified mold specialists are trained in modern methods to not only safely remove mold, but also to uncover any underlying hazards that you may be unaware of. Additionally, attempting to remove black mold on your own can result in:
- Actually Making things Worse: Black mold produces spores, which can spread if not properly confined during removal. This can lead mold to appear in other sections of your home, escalating a minor problem into a major one.
- Missing Mold in the Home: Mold is famous for hiding in unassuming areas, such as your home’s air vents. While you may be able to remove visible mold growth, you may also overlook critical spots that require professional treatment for complete repair.
- Using wrong equipment: Mold removal specialists employ a variety of high-tech equipment to manage deadly black mold, including personal protection gear, air filters, containment systems, and heavy-duty items. You may harm yourself and your family if you do not have these equipment.
Leave Black Mold Removal to the Experts!
Calling in a professional team to deal with black mold removal can be a daunting task, especially if you are concerned about the cost of remediation. Although it may be tempting to deal with the issue on your own, black mold is one household disaster that is best left to the experienced hands of qualified mold removal experts. At Icon Restoration, we understand the concerns and risks connected with black mold removal, and we can work with you to build a treatment strategy that is tailored to your specific needs. Without breaking the bank!
Icon Restoration gives you one less thing to worry about when it comes to providing a safe, clean, and healthy living environment for your family, thanks to our fully trained and certified crew, eco-friendly mold removal tools, and thorough restoration services. Call us today at 416-901-4266 or fill out our online form to get started with a free, in-home assessment.